- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 10 ounces of lemon lime soda like 7-up or Sprite regular only
- 1 3 ounce box of strawberry gelatin
- 1 pound of fresh strawberries rinsed, sliced and drained
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 commercial pie crust precooked and cooled
- Homemade whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping
Place the sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a small saucepan and whisk until well blended. Add the 7-up and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and thoroughly whisk in the lemon juice, and strawberry gelatin. Set aside to cool.
Clean the strawberries by removing the hull and rinsing them in a colander. Slice into 3 to 4 slices per berry and return to the colander. Run a quick rinse over the berries and let them drain completely.
If preparing a pie crust from packaged, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F or according to package directions.
Place the crust into an ungreased glass pie plate and fold the top edges under the pastry (not the pie plate) all the way around. Do this all the way around the top.
Photo Credit marthastewart.com
Using a fork, dock the bottom of the pie crust by pricking it in multiple spots all along the bottom. This helps to vent the crust so that it doesn't buckle. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to your package direction, until light golden brown. Remove, set aside and let cool for at least 10 minutes before filling.
Layer the strawberry slices in the precooked, cooled crust. Evenly distribute the glaze over the strawberries and chill 2 to 4 hours, until fully set and serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip.